Page 5 of 6
Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:13 pm
by wagordy
I guess SARCASM dont read well.
Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:21 pm
by Oompa Midgets
Regardless, you said it and said you didn't!
Just proving a point!
Down with HFA!!!!!
Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:31 pm
by the Man, the Myth...
My disagreement with HFA is with the number of points that it is. I wont mind at all if it were 3 pts instead of 7. The other thing with HFA is the disadvantage you have in the middle of the season during bye weeks. For example....you may have 2 of your highest scoring players and then start out at a 7 pt disadvantage. Its almost like a double whammy. I have not attempted any research to see if its an equal disadvantage to all teams during the year. It may be equal....it may not...but having homefield more in the middle of the season is surely a bigger advantage. Hmmm...I wonder how many times I can write advantage or disadvantage in one paragraph???

I am all for voting it down to 3 next season!!
Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:31 pm
by Agitator
which one of you "Chuck's" has the time to figure out how many games have been affected by HFA?
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:45 pm
by wildest fantasy
Well, I might as well chime in on the subject...
If most leagues don't have HFA, there's probably a reason. It doesn't make sense to me to say this league is better for having certain differences. It's just different. And different isn't always good.
All the other scoring methods are obviously performance based and HFA is obviously not. In other words, it's arbitrary. But, I have to agree that is not unfair since we are all playing by the same rules. As long as we all have the same number of home games, it evens out. It's kinda like playing pool on an unlevel table. Sure, it's fair 'cause we're both playing on the same table, but it still kinda sucks. If I get beat on your crooked table, and then beat you on my crooked table, we're even and it's fair. But, wouldn't it also be fair if we just played on the same level table to begin with?
If we are trying to model the real game by giving HFA that's cool. There is a slight advantage to playing at your own home. But, let's be realistic. The "12th man" doesn't score a touchdown. The roar of the crowd usually just causes communication errors which lead to offsides, false starts, delay of game, or some such penalty for a 5 yard loss. Since 5 yards is worth 0.5 pts., I propose we determine, on average, how many times such events occur during a game and multiply that by 0.5 pts. and let that be the HFA.
BTW, I nominate Anthony to compile the research since he apparently has nothing better to do than look up fantasy football shit all the time. Also, he is most likely to find few penalties that can be attributed to HFA since he wants to get rid of it anyway.
Seriously though, If I had to vote, I'd vote it down, but I ain't gonna be too pissed off about it either way.
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:55 pm
by bstock
very well put
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:45 pm
by Jonathan S.
I enjoyed that synopsis. Let me reiterate what Stocks said...very well put.
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:10 pm
by wolfe
Someone finally gets it. Sometimes you are playing on a foosball table tilted toward you. And sometimes you are are playing on a table tilted away from you. Home Field has an advantage.
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:23 pm
by Oompa Midgets
You call it an advantage, and I call it unfair.....
To each his own.
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:32 pm
by Jonathan S.
A crooked foosball table doesn't give either you or your opponent a 7 goal lead. Ask Eric, he's a foosball expert.