Page 5 of 6

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 am
by bstock
I don't have a problem with the way the wildcard is currently setup. I think added HFA points is bogus. What is the winning percentage of playing at home in the NFL? 55%?

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:52 am
by The Guru
Great stuff. I feel like I am getting ready for court! Let me ask one question though. Have you always felt this "passionate" over the way the league is run or just when this " injustice" happens to you?

If these issues have really bothered you this much then you should have presented your argument much sooner than week 14.

Kind of messed up to wait this long to tell us what we support is backwards or illogical or whatever. We knew the rules and liked them or tolerated them enough to pay the fee and not complain when the dust settles and the smoke clears.

Ever thought we might like backwards or illogical or however you want to phrase it? Hate to speak for other players but I think they liked it or most wouldnt come back yr after yr.

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:40 pm
by wagordy
According to http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2011/02/ ... troit.html the winning percentage of home vs away ranges from 2.4 time more likely to win at home to .94. But the vast majority look to be above 1 times more likely. Just food for thought.

The Raw Data
The table below shows each team's home winning percentage between 2003 and 2010


Team Home % Away % Ratio
Detroit Lions 38% 16% 2.40
San Francisco 49ers 50% 22% 2.29
Arizona Cardinals 55% 27% 2.06
Seattle Seahawks 69% 36% 1.91
Baltimore Ravens 77% 41% 1.88
Minnesota Vikings 67% 39% 1.72
Houston Texans 50% 30% 1.68
Kansas City Chiefs 56% 36% 1.57
Cincinnati Bengals 57% 38% 1.52
Jacksonville Jaguars 61% 41% 1.50
St Louis Rams 44% 30% 1.47
Oakland Raiders 34% 23% 1.47
Chicago Bears 64% 45% 1.41
Cleveland Browns 39% 28% 1.39
Denver Broncos 63% 45% 1.38
Atlanta Falcons 61% 45% 1.34
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 52% 39% 1.32
Buffalo Bills 45% 34% 1.32
New York Jets 55% 44% 1.25
San Diego Chargers 69% 56% 1.25
Pittsburgh Steelers 72% 58% 1.24
Washington Redskins 45% 38% 1.21
Tennessee Titans 56% 47% 1.20
New England Patriots 86% 72% 1.20
Green Bay Packers 61% 52% 1.18
Dallas Cowboys 61% 53% 1.15
Carolina Panthers 55% 48% 1.13
Indianapolis Colts 81% 73% 1.11
Philadelphia Eagles 63% 62% 1.01
Miami Dolphins 42% 44% 0.96
New Orleans Saints 52% 55% 0.95
New York Giants 52% 56% 0.94

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm
by Oompa Midgets
wildest fantasy wrote:Who should be in? Who should be out? And who got F’d in the A?


So, the 2 top scoring teams would be matched up and the oompas and salamanders matched up well also. Hmm… looking at the scores this week it looks like the rockers would upset the punishers and the oompas (with an incomplete lineup) would still beat the salamanders. Ouch! Anthony, you would be playing for the money next week bro. You definitely got F’d in the A.
I'm use to it bro! I've lost championship(s) to HFA so trust me I hate the stupid shit! We've whittled it down to 3 points in the 2nd league, but the owners in the 1st league can't seem to understand the poor logic behind it. I've considered quitting the league bc of it, but it is my favorite league because of the setup and the comraderie of the owners.

With that said, I have been thoroughly entertained by the discussion in this thread and I'm only on page 3. I appreciate and understand all points that have been made, but why for the life of me y'all won't entertain the MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION that I've brought up several times I'll never know!?!?!?

I'll throw it out there for one last attempt. It's called the Victory Point System (VPS). We still play head to head every week. All victors receive 2 points, and then there are additional points based on points. Top scorers 1-4 for the week receive 2 points for a total possibility of 4; teams 5-8 receive 1 additional point and 9-12 receive 0 additional although they could still receive 2 points by lucking out and playing one of the few lower scoring teams in that week. Therefore it is possible to score up to 4 points in any given week. This is a hybrid format that rewards teams that consistently score above average although their record might not reflect such. So if you score the 2nd most points in the league that week and lose to the top scoring team you still receive 2 points. IMO to do that is just as good as winning a game scoring the 10th most points in the league for that week.

Then we'll have more discussion about the teams playing in a weaker division having more victory points, but at least this will narrow the gap.....

Will this finally receive some warranted discussion? 8)

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 pm
by Oompa Midgets
wildest fantasy wrote:3. I know this is brought up every year, but it has recently just become a running joke. Seriously guys, we have got to get rid of this HFA rule. It is a truly horrible rule and you guys that want to keep it have no valid argument in favor of it. You just want it cause its different. Hey, if we get rid of it, we will still be different, just less dumb. We are a h2h league and we have a scoring rule that skews h2h records? What kinda sense does that make?

This rule benefits nobody and is only hurting. This is not a rule one can plan around. It is arbitrary and can give a win to a team that didn’t earn it on its own merits. Does that help anyone? Only if you want to lift an average team into the playoffs that doesn’t belong there by points or h2h record. But that’s done at the expense of someone else that earned it and that sounds unfair to me. And based on your arguments you would call it unfair too. It affects seeding which means playoff matchups are affected. Remember, I got in the playoffs by HFA wins and got #1 seed by one of those HFA wins. I don’t even belong in the playoffs on my own h2h merits and I got in at the expense of Ernie and Anthony although Ernie got a reprieve. What about the other end of the ranks? Is a weak team helped by picking up a couple of arbitrary wins? No way, they would drop in draft order making it even harder to rebuild. That is uniquely tough in a 7 keeper league.
I truly wish the applause smiley was working :lol:

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:41 am
by wildest fantasy
wagordy wrote: Good luck this week. (Can you bench Peterson and maybe replace him with Finley?)... ;)
Can you believe 1 year after an injury that ends many careers we're talking about possibly breaking the single season rushing record? And I considered, just for a second, not keeping AP. This guy is like a machine! No sir, my faith in Purple Jesus is strong!

I will probably keep in Nicks for ya though, he's been pretty lame all season.

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:36 am
by wagordy
wildest fantasy wrote:
wagordy wrote: Good luck this week. (Can you bench Peterson and maybe replace him with Finley?)... ;)

I will probably keep in Nicks for ya though, he's been pretty lame all season.

Well, that's something. :)

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:29 pm
by wildest fantasy
the Man, the Myth... wrote: This season is not the norm. With all the research you have done, you failed to do one thing, and that was to go back and look at past seasons in this league. I went back the past 5 seasons, 2007-2011 and the teams with the best records did get in. Even the team in the wild card spot.
Yes. I did not discuss previous years because they don’t help me prove my point. Although, you might check out this thread from 2007, my first year in the league.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1885

I can’t remember exactly, but I thought I recalled something fishy that year and couldn’t quite articulate it then and if I tried I’d just sound like a sore loser my first year. I do realize that the seeding rule will rarely put a lower record over higher record. But, I would say that just because a beast rarely steals a baby doesn’t mean we shouldn’t kill it.

BTW, I didn’t keep up with HFA effects for every team every year either. I have kinda kept a mental log of how it has affected my team and I recall that I have won more than lost, but I don’t believe the wins help either way. I realize that some years HFA also has little effect, but at its best it’s just less bad.
Interestingly, here’s a quote from me in that thread:
wildest fantasy wrote: by wildest fantasy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:57 pm
I'd just like to point out that I clearly have the best team and, if not for some oppressive scheme by "the man" to keep the beatniks down, I would be in the playoffs now and dominating. Next year you guys will be powerless against my wrath.
I did indeed win the championship the next year. So you see, you guys should shape up and start listening to me cause I can predict the future. Don’t underestimate my powers.

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:35 pm
by wildest fantasy
the Man, the Myth... wrote: I mean are you just upset that Ernie beat you and you feel he shouldnt have been in the playoffs based on his record? If anyone were going to complain, I would think it would be Brian or Shane ...

Ernie has a good team every year...
Ha! You don’t have to tell me! I have to play this juggernaut twice every year! I posted the 1-12 rankings without HFA with total point tiebreakers. If I were king of the league, that’s how it would be except maybe power rank tiebreakers which may be no different. Keep in mind, I planned to make these arguments before the games Sunday but I had internet trouble and other distractions, but I did telegraph what I was gonna say. I should be 5th seed so Ernie beating me is justice. Of course, when I beat Will it’ll be because he sucks and I’m awesome. I had forgot who was for and against HFA so don't think my ranting about that is against you in particular.

Re: 2012 Playoffs

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:44 pm
by wildest fantasy
Shane, no injustice has been done to me. My arguments are purely ideological and I’d feel the same regardless of who finishes where. I firmly believe that once the draft starts the rules for that year are set in stone and cannot be changed till the last playoff game is in the books. So, I would not advocate changing anything for this season. I just know that after the finals most folks don’t come here till just before the next draft and then we’re looking forward to beer, food, and fellowship and full of anticipation of the draft and upcoming season; not worrying about year old stats.

I felt I was in an advantageous position to make these arguments now. Even though I was watching the wildcard run for a couple of weeks, and thought this might happen, I had to wait till week 14 was done to be sure. If Brian had outscored Ernie week 14, I would have to argue from a much weaker position. And I probably wouldn’t have then done the research on HFA effects either. The stars aligned making these issues apparent this year so I could show what did happen not rabble rouse about hypotheticals and also since I was on top, I look less like a sore loser. When I started, I was just gonna cheerlead for power rank and stir up discussion on the wildcard rule. As I was trying to find a way to show that it’s the rule that stinks not Ernie’s team, I kept uncovering the foul stench of HFA. I wanted to avoid that issue cause it seems to get nowhere and that’s where my “passions” starting flaring up.

I starting thinking about how we don’t even discuss this anymore and when we do it’s a joke. This past draft HFA was brought up by one of the remote guys (Brian maybe), but most didn’t even notice it in the discussion box. The issue whose negative ripple effects had affected nearly everyone was a non-starter and had been relegated to a few lines of unnoticed text in the discussion box. And I kinda started thinking that the stalemate over that issue for so long has poisoned any discussion of changes. That thought was more frustrating than any. I thought maybe we as a bunch of men had become stubbornly set in our ways. When that happens we sometimes need a 2x4 across the head to get us thinking again. I considered toning down my arguments, but then I said “Fuck it”, and came in swinging wood.

This is just fantasy football so I’m losing no sleep over it, but I just tend to argue passionately regardless of the importance of the topic. My ol’ lady hates that. I’ll be at the draft next year with money in hand regardless cause this really is the best league I play in. If I can’t get you guys to see my logic, so be it. At least we’re talking about something.