Page 1 of 1

NFL expanding to 17 game regular season???

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:40 am
by Oompa Midgets
The NFL is considering adding a 17th regular season game to the schedule, in part to accommodate more games overseas.

The idea here would most likely include a full week of games overseas each season, with one fewer preseason game. The idea is only in its formative stages and could be a long way from being implemented.
Source: Washington Post

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:54 am
by wolfe
I don't like this idea. I would hope the players union would oppose this. I flew to western Europe once and it can mess you up for days. I can't imagine trying to fly to Asia or Australia, playing a game, flying back and play more games in the US.
When would they play the games? Are the US TV networks just going to take the week off or play NFL games on a tape delay?

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:27 pm
by Oompa Midgets
please direct those and any further questions to Roger Goodell...

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:49 pm
by wolfe
Damn it, Midget I demand an answer!

I doubt NFL owners are going to give up a preseason game.

Are all international games going to be played overseas during the same week? How are you going to handle the inevitable whining when some teams play in Mexico City (local) and some are playing in New Delhi or Beijing (~12-hour offset)?

What about the NFL players with felony convictions or parole restrictions that keep them from traveling abroad?

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:08 pm
by bilyeuofbaxter
Will the have to change the name to WFL? World Football League

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:15 pm
by wolfe
I think I heard that David Stern, NBA Poobah, expected to have NBA teams in Europe in 20 years. Now that would be an insane regular season schedule.