Page 1 of 1

Standings Tie Breakers

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:42 pm
by wolfe
Currently our tie breaker for division winner is:
1. Division head-to-head Record
2. Head-to-head results between both teams
3. Division Points
4. Overall Points
5. Coin Flip

MyFantasyLeague.com has never supported #3 - Division Points.

To avoid future confusion, should we amend our rules to fit the software.

Available sorting criteria:
*Overall Winning Percentage (currently #0)
*Head-To-Head Record (currently #2)
*Total Points Scored (currently #4)
*Divisional Winning Percentage (currently #1)
*Reverse Order Of Opponent Total Points Scored
*Power Rank
*Victory Points
*Last Week's Point Total

Power Rank would be a logical replacement since Division Wins is a component of the formula.

Re: Standings Tie Breakers

Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:48 pm
by wagordy
Power rank is fine with me since the other criteria aren't very useful.

Re: Standings Tie Breakers

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:30 pm
by Oompa Midgets
I love the Victory Point System and think it should be the replacement tie-breaker!

Nothing sucks worse than scoring the second most points in the league and lose the game :bawling: This point system awards 2 points for a victory, 2 points to the top 4 scoring teams and 1 point for teams that scored in the 5-8 range. The 9-12 teams in terms of scoring for the week get a whopping 0. It rewards the teams that score the most week in and week out even if they lose the game.

Re: Standings Tie Breakers

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:53 pm
by wolfe
Remember that we are talking about a tie-breaker.
If you put Victory points in as a 3rd tie breaker, you have probably already lost Overall head-to-head, Division head-to-head and head-to-head between the tied teams.

Re: Standings Tie Breakers

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:12 pm
by Oompa Midgets
wolfe wrote:Remember that we are talking about a tie-breaker.
If you put Victory points in as a 3rd tie breaker, you have probably already lost Overall head-to-head, Division head-to-head and head-to-head between the tied teams.
??? Is that not the reason for another level of tie-breaker? I am not understanding your logic here Commish...How would the victory points have much to do with being tied overall and in the division? How would you have already lost these first two tie-breakers??? Is that not the point of a tie-breaker, for someone to lose it?!? The Victory Point System rewards the teams that score in the top 2/3 of the league week-in and week-out even if you lost your head-to-head battle that week!

(Disclaimer: I just mowed the yard and am waiting for my blood pressure to come down a couple hundred points so if I am just having a brain-fart I'll blame it on that :))

Re: Standings Tie Breakers

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:01 pm
by Jonathan S.
I don't like using a Power Ranking criteria.

Re: Standings Tie Breakers

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:54 pm
by wolfe
FYI
I contacted support about this.
me wrote:Will Division Points ever be added as a sorting criteria for the standings? I may have asked this last year - or the year before. If there are no plans to add to the sorting criteria, then I will be asking my league to change our official rules.

It has caused some confusion when I don't manually update the Custom Standings Order immediately after the game.
MFL.com wrote: While I can't say for sure if we'll _ever_ add it, I'm fairly certain we won't be adding it in time for the 2008 season, unfortunately.

Re: Standings Tie Breakers

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:07 pm
by Oompa Midgets
That is pathetic! I'm sure there are thousands of leagues out there who use it as a tie-breaker or would like to anyway...