Page 1 of 5

Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 am
by wolfe
What do you guys think about holding the draft in a local restaurant? I've been talking it over with the guys that run Crawdaddy's and they say they wouldn't have a problem with it. There is no reservation fee, but of course we would be expected to buy drink/appetizers. They have greatly expanded their seating recently and we would have our own closed off area for the draft.

Advantages
Plenty of room for everyone to spread out
Plenty of parking

Disadvantages
No BYOB
Probably couldn't bring our own snacks/food

If there is some interest in this then I will continue talks with the people at Crawdaddy's. One concern that I have is an Internet connection.

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:00 am
by The Guru
Drafting in a bar? At least three people would passout in each league and we would never finish.

Seems like a good idea on surface, but it would end in disaster. It is on the edge of disaster every year as it is.

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:34 am
by Agitator
can they give us a deal on the drinks! i'm a cheap bastard and like BYOB!

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 am
by wolfe
I'm pretty sure they don't give discounts to drunks. If anything kills this idea it will be the "no outside food or drink" rule. I'm having second thoughts myself. After 2 league drafts - lasting about 8 hours - my tab would be more than my league fees.

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:58 am
by Oompa Midgets
No deal! We need to keep the tradition alive!

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:01 pm
by Agitator
Oompa Midgets wrote:We need to keep the tradition alive!
what tradition? the tradition of not holding the draft at a bar? we've done it at a different place almost every year....

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:37 pm
by Oompa Midgets
Agitator wrote:
Oompa Midgets wrote:We need to keep the tradition alive!
what tradition? the tradition of not holding the draft at a bar? we've done it at a different place almost every year....
You're an idiot! I know you aren't courteous enuf to host the draft, but we have had it at a an owner's house every season!

I planned on bringing my laptop to feed of your connection commish...

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:21 pm
by the Man, the Myth...
Dont forget I can always host if need be. We have plenty of room here and a 50" big screen to plug ur laptop into. Not sure if thats good for the tv though....I know your not supposed to leave it on pause for an extended period because of screen burns....who knows?

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:20 pm
by Oompa Midgets
the Man, the Myth... wrote:I know your not supposed to leave it on pause for an extended period because of screen burns....who knows?
I think that is a crock of shit because my plasma was paused one night and I awoke to the same picture the next morning with no burns. It may depend on the brand.

Re: Alternate Draft Location

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 pm
by wolfe
When I bought my plasma 3 years ago the salesperson said that burn-in was a problem with older plasmas. Modern plasmas don't have this issue. I've seen a few temporary burn-ins on my TV, but I can fix it by changing the channel for a few minutes.

Anyway, holding the draft at a bar may be more convenient. We would all have a lot more room to spread out. We wouldn't have to clean up the mess. Most people spend a few bucks on snacks/pizza/burgers ... whatever. You could instead use your money for an appetizer.

If driving to Cookeville is a big problem, then that is another issue. A small majority live outside the Cookeville area.