NFL expanding to 17 game regular season???

Talk about the league and your favorite team.
Post Reply
User avatar
Oompa Midgets
SmackBot 3000
Posts: 4335
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:10 pm
Name: Anthony Fowler
MTFFL: Oompa Loompas *2004,2007*
MTFFL II: Bitter Midgets *2008, 2009, 2010*
Location: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
Contact:

NFL expanding to 17 game regular season???

Post by Oompa Midgets »

The NFL is considering adding a 17th regular season game to the schedule, in part to accommodate more games overseas.

The idea here would most likely include a full week of games overseas each season, with one fewer preseason game. The idea is only in its formative stages and could be a long way from being implemented.
Source: Washington Post
wolfe
The Commish
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 pm
Name: Jeff Wolfe
MTFFL: Z-Town Zippers *1998, 2018*
MTFFL II: Beer Swillers
Location: MTFFL International Headquarters
Contact:

Post by wolfe »

I don't like this idea. I would hope the players union would oppose this. I flew to western Europe once and it can mess you up for days. I can't imagine trying to fly to Asia or Australia, playing a game, flying back and play more games in the US.
When would they play the games? Are the US TV networks just going to take the week off or play NFL games on a tape delay?
The rules are fair. The regulations are fair.
User avatar
Oompa Midgets
SmackBot 3000
Posts: 4335
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:10 pm
Name: Anthony Fowler
MTFFL: Oompa Loompas *2004,2007*
MTFFL II: Bitter Midgets *2008, 2009, 2010*
Location: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
Contact:

Post by Oompa Midgets »

please direct those and any further questions to Roger Goodell...
wolfe
The Commish
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 pm
Name: Jeff Wolfe
MTFFL: Z-Town Zippers *1998, 2018*
MTFFL II: Beer Swillers
Location: MTFFL International Headquarters
Contact:

Post by wolfe »

Damn it, Midget I demand an answer!

I doubt NFL owners are going to give up a preseason game.

Are all international games going to be played overseas during the same week? How are you going to handle the inevitable whining when some teams play in Mexico City (local) and some are playing in New Delhi or Beijing (~12-hour offset)?

What about the NFL players with felony convictions or parole restrictions that keep them from traveling abroad?
The rules are fair. The regulations are fair.
bilyeuofbaxter
Smack Talking Beast
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:14 am
Name: David Bilyeu
MTFFL: Omicron Persei 8's
Location: Milky Way Galaxy

Post by bilyeuofbaxter »

Will the have to change the name to WFL? World Football League
I'm not cheating. I'm just trying to get away with stuff.
wolfe
The Commish
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 pm
Name: Jeff Wolfe
MTFFL: Z-Town Zippers *1998, 2018*
MTFFL II: Beer Swillers
Location: MTFFL International Headquarters
Contact:

Post by wolfe »

I think I heard that David Stern, NBA Poobah, expected to have NBA teams in Europe in 20 years. Now that would be an insane regular season schedule.
The rules are fair. The regulations are fair.
Post Reply