Player Dropping
- the Man, the Myth...
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 643
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 12:23 pm
- Name: John Flatt
- MTFFL: Putnam Punishers *2012, 2013, 2016*
- MTFFL II: Smyrna Havoc *2011, 2012*
- Location: Murfreesboro,TN
Player Dropping
Shouldn't we have a rule against dropping players mid season to try to get a higher draft pick? If you trade away your best players that's one thing....just dropping this seasons 4th CB or S in points is ridiculous. I'm not coming from a place of bitterness, I picked him up....but in the interest of gamesmanship....I mean seriously?
...The Legend
- the Man, the Myth...
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 643
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 12:23 pm
- Name: John Flatt
- MTFFL: Putnam Punishers *2012, 2013, 2016*
- MTFFL II: Smyrna Havoc *2011, 2012*
- Location: Murfreesboro,TN
Re: Player Dropping
I say we move to vote on this now to implement next season. Otherwise we will get no interest in the offseason. At least almost everyone is paying attention right now.
...The Legend
-
eazye187
- Smack Room Regular
- Posts: 177
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 2:45 pm
- Name: Ernie Goens
- MTFFL: Eazy's Rockers *2015*
Re: Player Dropping
I assume you are referring to me?
1. IF I were trying to get a higher draft pick, I would have kept them both and just took the zeroes, and they're not head and shoulders above replacement level. It's not like I dropped J.J. Watt for a slappy.
2. In case you didn't notice, I offered both of them to the forum for trade and NOBODY offered, and since the trade deadline is tonight, I really didn't have a choice.
3. The only reason I dropped them is because they are both on a bye and I didn't feel comfortable dropping any of my keepable offensive assets for a one week fill in.
4. I scored 203 points last week, does it really look like am tanking? I can still win the division.
If you're REALLY that concerned about it, we should vote to implement blind bid waivers or some other waiver system. Otherwise, you deal with your team, and I'll deal with mine.
E
1. IF I were trying to get a higher draft pick, I would have kept them both and just took the zeroes, and they're not head and shoulders above replacement level. It's not like I dropped J.J. Watt for a slappy.
2. In case you didn't notice, I offered both of them to the forum for trade and NOBODY offered, and since the trade deadline is tonight, I really didn't have a choice.
3. The only reason I dropped them is because they are both on a bye and I didn't feel comfortable dropping any of my keepable offensive assets for a one week fill in.
4. I scored 203 points last week, does it really look like am tanking? I can still win the division.
If you're REALLY that concerned about it, we should vote to implement blind bid waivers or some other waiver system. Otherwise, you deal with your team, and I'll deal with mine.
E
- the Man, the Myth...
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 643
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 12:23 pm
- Name: John Flatt
- MTFFL: Putnam Punishers *2012, 2013, 2016*
- MTFFL II: Smyrna Havoc *2011, 2012*
- Location: Murfreesboro,TN
Re: Player Dropping
I'm not going to sit here and argue about it, but I'm positive there are players on your team that could have been dropped in lieu of dropping a player ranked that high. I'm sure Kelce was one of the valuable assets that you were referring to.
...The Legend
- wagordy
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:59 pm
- Name: Will Gordy
- MTFFL: Nashville Salamanders *2010*
- Location: Stuck in Paydirt!!!
Re: Player Dropping
My My.... action on the forums. ITS ALIVE!!!!
Nashville Salamanders, the only team to win a division with a sub .500 record.
- wagordy
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:59 pm
- Name: Will Gordy
- MTFFL: Nashville Salamanders *2010*
- Location: Stuck in Paydirt!!!
Re: Player Dropping
It looks like he dropped a player within the position he was picking up and that was the only choice.
Heck last year Michelle picked up Gronkowski when Shane (or someone dropped him).
Heck last year Michelle picked up Gronkowski when Shane (or someone dropped him).
Nashville Salamanders, the only team to win a division with a sub .500 record.
-
eazye187
- Smack Room Regular
- Posts: 177
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 2:45 pm
- Name: Ernie Goens
- MTFFL: Eazy's Rockers *2015*
Re: Player Dropping
Perhaps Jeff can jump in here and let us know what our options are to prevent this from happening in the future.
Honestly, though, wouldn't you prefer someone dropping a player on a bye that leaving them in like we've seen happen in the past? That would seem to affect "gamesmanship" more than someone dropping a highly ranked player on a bye.
E
Honestly, though, wouldn't you prefer someone dropping a player on a bye that leaving them in like we've seen happen in the past? That would seem to affect "gamesmanship" more than someone dropping a highly ranked player on a bye.
E
- the Man, the Myth...
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 643
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 12:23 pm
- Name: John Flatt
- MTFFL: Putnam Punishers *2012, 2013, 2016*
- MTFFL II: Smyrna Havoc *2011, 2012*
- Location: Murfreesboro,TN
Re: Player Dropping
Honestly, no. If you drop a highly ranked player, someone else could pick him up to use against everyone else regardless of if he is on bye or not.
You have stated you are re-building, and if you still are wanting to win as you pointed out, then you could have dropped Kelce for instance instead of Cyprian. I dare say you wouldn't have dropped him if you thought you were truly in contention for a championship. Kelce is not a "hot" commodity. I would also dare say he would have still been on the waiver wire for you to pick up at any point after this upcoming weekend of games. So if he is that important of an asset I'm sure you wouldn't have lost him.
With all due respect, it would seem to me that you are talking out of both sides of your mouth in order to defend your position on the matter. Are you re-building or are you still trying to win the title? Dropping a top 5 player at his respective position would not make it seem that you are going for a title.
You have stated you are re-building, and if you still are wanting to win as you pointed out, then you could have dropped Kelce for instance instead of Cyprian. I dare say you wouldn't have dropped him if you thought you were truly in contention for a championship. Kelce is not a "hot" commodity. I would also dare say he would have still been on the waiver wire for you to pick up at any point after this upcoming weekend of games. So if he is that important of an asset I'm sure you wouldn't have lost him.
With all due respect, it would seem to me that you are talking out of both sides of your mouth in order to defend your position on the matter. Are you re-building or are you still trying to win the title? Dropping a top 5 player at his respective position would not make it seem that you are going for a title.
...The Legend
-
eazye187
- Smack Room Regular
- Posts: 177
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 2:45 pm
- Name: Ernie Goens
- MTFFL: Eazy's Rockers *2015*
Re: Player Dropping
You are right, I probably could have dropped Kelce. He seems like a future hot commodity, though, so I didn't want to take the chance.
I'm not talking out of both sides of my mouth. You made it sound like I dropped Cyprien because I am tanking to try and get a better draft pick. I was rebutting that argument. I am rebuilding, but I'm not going to just lay down and take a zero at a position when I can get a replacement. I'd be willing to bet that I can replace Cyprien with someone from the wire for the rest of the season and come within 2-3 points per game. The difference between the top safety (Michael Griffin 14.33 PG) and the #24 safety (Mike Adams 10.78) is negligible.
Would you prefer I take the zeroes, give up the rest of the season, and affect the competitive balance that way? I have no delusions that I can win this year, but I don't think it's fair to the rest of the group to not try and be competitive.
I'm not talking out of both sides of my mouth. You made it sound like I dropped Cyprien because I am tanking to try and get a better draft pick. I was rebutting that argument. I am rebuilding, but I'm not going to just lay down and take a zero at a position when I can get a replacement. I'd be willing to bet that I can replace Cyprien with someone from the wire for the rest of the season and come within 2-3 points per game. The difference between the top safety (Michael Griffin 14.33 PG) and the #24 safety (Mike Adams 10.78) is negligible.
Would you prefer I take the zeroes, give up the rest of the season, and affect the competitive balance that way? I have no delusions that I can win this year, but I don't think it's fair to the rest of the group to not try and be competitive.
-
wolfe
- The Commish
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 pm
- Name: Jeff Wolfe
- MTFFL: Z-Town Zippers *1998, 2018*
- MTFFL II: Beer Swillers
- Location: MTFFL International Headquarters
- Contact:
Re: Player Dropping
I don't have a problem with the players that were dropped. They were on Bye and wouldn't be getting any points. I think the concept of "dropping to tank" is very subjective. What about owners that keep the 100th ranked player at their position when there are 60 better players available? Are they tanking as well?
The rules are fair. The regulations are fair.