Page 1 of 3

Griffin to wear #27

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:24 pm
by Agitator
http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/inde ... _well_id=2

"Did you get to choose your number while you were there?

I just found out I’ll be able to wear number 27. They were thinking about retiring it for Eddie George. I told the Titans’ staff that out of respect for Eddie George, I wanted to talk to him and ask his permission to wear the number. He went to Ohio State, and I obviously went to Texas, so I wasn’t sure what was going to happen [laughing], but it went through. He is going to let me wear it, so I’m going to try and wear it with pride and represent that number."

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:55 pm
by wolfe
Eddie's number shouldn't be retired. (and he shouldn't be in the NFL HoF)
He was a very good running back for a long time, but not worthy of retiring the number. What next? Retiring #89? Ridiculous.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:18 am
by Agitator
wolfe wrote:Eddie's number shouldn't be retired. (and he shouldn't be in the NFL HoF)
He was a very good running back for a long time, but not worthy of retiring the number. What next? Retiring #89? Ridiculous.


AMEN !!! i actually agree with you! eddie was good for a few years, but by no means is he a HOFer

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:31 am
by bilyeuofbaxter
I have to disagree about the number being retired. Eddie George will not make the HOF, but that is a different case than having your # retired. He was the best player on the field for most of the early years this franchise was here. Steve McNair benefited much from facing a lot of 3rd and 2's and 3rd and 3's. Eddie ranks 18th all-time for rushing yards. Every person above him is either in the HOF or will be in the HOF (except maybe Corey Dillon and Tiki Barber). I'm not saying he definitely needs his number retired, but it does warrant some thought.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:46 am
by Jonathan S.
I concur with David. Fans had a special relationship with Eddie. Remember the chants? Those were the days. He also was and continues to be an observed member in the Nashville community.

I would like to see his name and number somewhere in LP Field, but they may not happen now.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:48 am
by wolfe
I thought about it and I say 'no'. Retired jerseys should be for special players. I don't doubt that George was a very good player for a long time, but not that special.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 am
by Agitator
Jonathan S. wrote: Remember the chants? Those were the days.

remember the chants for Drew? should he get his number retired also?

eddie was good in his prime, but a HOFer doesn't get cut by a number of different teams and then has to retire because no one will sign him.

it wasn't his decision to retire....his body broke down and couldn't find work.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:26 pm
by wolfe
remember the chants for Drew?
Anyone with an "oooo" sound in their name gets that same cheer. Fans are stupid sheep.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:52 pm
by Oompa Midgets
Agitator wrote:
Jonathan S. wrote: Remember the chants? Those were the days.
it wasn't his decision to retire....his body broke down and couldn't find work.
what do u expect from a 30-year old RB that was run into the ground???

His career totals include 10,441 rushing yards, 268 receptions, 2,227 receiving yards, and 78 touchdowns(68 rushing and 10 receiving).

i think the Titans should think about a "ring of honor" for players like eddie, air, wycheck, etc.....

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:59 pm
by Oompa Midgets